Graduate Student Enhancement Award (GSEA): For Professional and Research Development
We are excited to introduce the EGSS Graduate Student Enhancement Award (GSEA), which is replacing the EGSS Travel Award. This revamped award will be open to all EGSS members regardless of whether the student is conducting research or not.
The new GSEA aims to help students travel to either a conference, scholarly meeting, professional development workshop, etc. to provide you, the student, with the proper tools to complete your degree in a timely fashion and prepare you for life after your graduate studies. Students will be able to apply for either the GSEA for Professional Development or GSEA for Research Development. The GSEA for Professional Development will provide you with the means to travel to a collegial workshop, conference or scholarly meeting to learn and develop a specific skill or acquire knowledge pertinent to your degree. Meanwhile, the GSEA for Research Development corresponds to the old EGSS Travel Award. Here, students are provided monetary support to travel to a conference outside of Montreal, QC to present their work, create meaningful connections, receive critical feedback, and broaden their knowledge by taking in expertise in their respective fields.
Winners of the EGSS GSEA are entitled to an award of either:
- $250 for presenting at a conference or scholarly meeting in Canada or the continental United States.
- $500 for presenting outside of Canada or the continental United States (i.e., Hawaii, Alaska, etc.).
When the number of eligible applications exceeds the number of scholarships available in each category, a random draw will decide the winners.
Deadline for application:
|For events held:||Application deadline:|
|November 1 – February 29||October 15|
|March 1 – June 30||February 15|
|July 1 – October 31||June 15|
- All members of the Education Graduate Students’ Society are eligible to apply for the award. This includes non-thesis and international students.
- Students are eligible to receive a maximum of one (1) GSEA per academic year.
- Students who are receiving direct financial support to attend the conference/scholarly meeting from their supervisor/ department are not eligible for this award
- Priority will be given to students who do not hold a bursary, scholarship, or fellowship of over $15,000 for this academic year.
- *** for GSEA RD only*** Applicants must be presenters (paper, poster, etc.) at an academic workshop or conference that requires travel outside of Greater Montreal.
Required Application Documents
1.Completion and submission of Google Forms.
a) For Research Development
b) For Professional Development
A confirmation message will appear when successfully completed. We will require a description of :
a) Research: The abstract or description of the paper, poster, etc. being presented
b) A description of the conference, workshop, or scholarly meeting (500 words max)
Please email required documents 2, 3, & 4 in PDF format to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line: Lastname, Firstname – GSEA Research – Deadline Date
2. A completed Supervisor/Faculty Member Support form found here: (GSEA Supervisor form).
3. Confirmation of full time status:
In fulfillment of this section, you may log into your MINERVA account and do the following:
i) Click on Student Menu
ii) Click on Student Records Menu
iii) Click on Letters – Proof of Enrollment
iv) Under Term and Status: Select the academic year in which your conference is being held.
v) Under Type of Letter: Select Proof of Enrollment/Graduation
vi) Click Submit/Print and attach the generated letter to your application
4. A document confirming your participation* at the event**
*If not available at the time of application, please include proof of submission or a copy of the conference program.
Please note that proof of acceptance is required prior to payment of the award.
According to 188.8.131.52.1 in the EGSS constitution, please note that the award eligible recipient has one (1) month after EGSS has notified the award winner to accept the travel award. If the award eligible recipient fails to notify EGSS whether they will accept the travel award or not at the end of one month, this will result in a forfeiture of the award.
Furthermore, upon acceptance of the award, students have 3 months to pick up the award at EGSS or notify EGSS that they intend to pick up the award at a later date. Failure to do so within the time limit will result in a forfeiture of the award.